Do you already have the config file ? If so

make mrproper

make xconfig (or whatever your fav configurator is)

then choose load config from file, and type in the file name when
prompted. (the config file can be anywhere doesn't have to be in the
kernel dir)

Save and exit

now your make dep and the rest of the build process should work.

Regards,
Adam