Hi all,

I have been hacked!
It is clear that I need to reinstall.

I would like to make use of this to learn a bit of what has happened to my
server.

My /bin/login has been made 0 bytes

I fixed the hard-disk into another machine
login as root in that machine
mount the hacked hard disk and have access to the hard-disk.

ls -tral gives me a series of files that has been changed.

a few of them are
/bin/df
/bin/du
/bin/ftp
/bin/login

I try to delete the files and get the warning
"do you want to delete write protected file (Y/n)"
I say Yes and the answer is
"Sorry I am unable to unlink the file"
and the file is not deleted.

Any one who can help me to understand that message

the permission on the file is
-rwxr-xr-x
and I am root on the machine.

Is it because a hard-link has been made to the file in some directory
which I first have to find and delete ?

Well, Just to learn a bit more.

best regards
Mettavihari

--
A saying of the Buddha from http://metta.lk/
The good give up (attachment for) everything; the saintly prattle not with sensual