Thanks for the reply.

I had done a bit more digging, and between that and your comment I
have a solution to the problem.

IT WOULD SURE BE NICE IF THEY DOCUMENTED THIS SOMEPLACE...

RH7.3 had groff 1.17.2, and in the file
        /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/font/devps/DESC
the variable paperlenght is defined as
        paperlength 792000

RH8.0 has groff 1.18, and in the file
        /usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps/DESC
the variable paperlength is defined as
        papersize /etc/papersize a4

This is the only change between the two files.

It is NOT clear what the /etc/papersize is referring to, (there is
no such file), but there *IS* a file /etc/paper.config in both OS
giving page sizes (and some other numbers whose usage is not clear)
but there is nothing there defining a default.

In any case, changing the papersize line in the file inRH8.0
to read either

        paperlength 792000
    or
        papersize /etc/papersize letter

solves my problem, things are formatted for US-LETTER and not A4
paper.

---

REDHAT - ARE YOU LISTENING????

Paper size has been a longstanding problem, it should be settable
somewhere in /etc/sysconfig, with scripts to carry the change thru
to the programs that need it...

                                Reg.Clemens