From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Bret Hughes
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 8:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Config of LogWatch and Cron

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 05:21, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How to midify the config ( LogWatch,Cron etc ) of RedHat 7.2 ? Because

> the root account always receive mails ( report of LogWatch and Cron )
> each day... I want to reset the default time to delay...
> So, can you help me ?

First I would like to say I believe this is a bad idea.

Now lets see what is really happening.

Cron is setup to run certian programs at given intervals, see
in the /etc/ directory
cron.daily
cron.monthly
cron.weekly
cron.d
cron.hourly
crontab

the way cron works is that when a program runs, any output gets mailed
to the user defined in the MAILTO=blahblah variable which can be changed
to any valid email address

you don't like having to deal with all the messages I guess.

As I see it you can do one of several things:
set the programs to only run once a week - move the files from the
hourly and daily dirs to weekly

don't run logcheck at all since you are not going to look at it.

send all the mail to /dev/null since you are not going to look at it
anyway

delete the /var/spool/mail/root file periodically you could even do it
via cron

both of these are really bad ideas

modify /etc/aliases to have root's mail sent to you and use procmail
filter to put it into a directory so you don't have to deal with it
daily.

Before you do any of the above make sure the machine is not connected to
the net and so no one will hack it and use it to attack other machines.
Probably should do this any way since you are not going to look at any
of the minimal stuff that RH sets up to let you know when something odd
id happening.

Bret