On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Mikevl wrote:
> I need to change some kernel parameters as below
>
> * maximum number of processes
> * maximum number of open files
> * maximum number of open inodes in-core
>
> How do I go about doing this?

In your /proc directory you have a bunch of files that you can just
edit/overwrite.  Whatever you edit them to is the value of the kernel
parameter automagically.

# echo 8192 >/proc/sys/fs/file-max
# echo 32768 >/proc/sys/fs/inode-max
# echo 10000 >/proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

According to http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/lki-2.html,

  Every process under Linux is dynamically allocated a struct task_struct
  structure. The maximum number of processes which can be created on Linux
  is limited only by the amount of physical memory present, and is equal
  to (see kernel/fork.c:fork_init()):

--
\ \/ / _       |~\  _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
 >  < / \|\  /|+-< | |   "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_|    a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole