--
I think you just need to install java.
I haven't tried what you are doing, but this is how I installed java.

It's a bit tricky the way I do it - but I don't know of an easier way.

Download the jdk from blackdown - http://www.blackdown.org/

You want the most current j2sdk-
I use the j2sdk-1.4.1-beta-linux-i586.bin

download that and put it in /usr/local (as root)
run the .bin file:
chmod +x j2sdk-1.4.1-beta-linux-i586.bin
./j2sdk-1.4.1-beta-linux-i586.bin

You should now have a directory called j2sdk1.4.1
On my box - the UID/GID was wrong - so

chown -R root:root j2sdk1.4.1

Make a symlink (for easier future update)-

ln -s j2sdk1.4.1 j2sdk
-=-
Now you will need to edit your /etc/profile file.

There will be a line that reads:
pathmunge /usr/X11R6/bin after

AFTER that line but before "unset pathmunge" enter :

pathmunge /usr/local/j2sdk/bin

Then, further down in the file, you'll find a line that says:

HISTSIZE=1000

at some point after that - add

export JAVA_HOME="/usr/local/j2sdk"

write the changes and quit.

Log out and then log in again.
Java should now be functional on your system.