There could be several reasons :

1. Check your firewall setting, make sure you can connect to port 901, by manually telnet to this port number
2. Check that "xinetd" is really listening on this port. Try "netstat -na | grep 901" (or "netstat -nap | grep 901" as "root" to see which process is listening on this port).
3. Are you using the browser from the Linux box, or telnet from another machine ? SWAT's default config file only allow connection from 127.0.0.1 only. Edit the "/etc/xinetd.d/swat" file and comment out the line with the "127.0.0.1" setting would allow connection from anywhere.

Regards,
Raymond.

Roger Schmeits wrote:

Have you looked with chkconfig?