Jim Alexander said:
> I am loading RedHat 8 on an old Dual processor server which only has one
> Pentium III 450MHz processor, 512MB RAM and on board SCSI ( Adaptec
> AIC-7896N).  RedHat 7 loads and works just fine on the system but with RH
> 8 it seemed to load just fine but on boot up it would start a loop when
> trying to find the SCSI drivers.  I reinstalled the system with Old
> Adaptec AIC-7xxx drivers and on boot up I now get "aborting command due to
> timeout: pid (#), scsi0, channel 0, id (#), lun o I

lemme guess, Intel L440GX+ Motherboard? I remember having such problems
installing SuSE on one of them. Using a 2.2.x kernel it was easy to
work around, using the boot option I think aic7xxx=no_reset, but last
I checked I don't think that option was available on 2.4.x kernels. I
have installed redhat 7.3 on such a board but have not tried 8.0. All
of my other L440GX+ systems run 2.2.x kernels or freebsd.

If it is the L440GX+ this is a very very common problem, try googling
around for it I'm sure you'll find some more info on it. I'm not aware
of any workarounds for the 2.4.x kernel though it must work somehow
if redhat 7 worked ....

nate