I presume you are using Iptables.

Start logging everything you drop or reject
and you will then see what needs adjusting.

>From memory, my setting is...
1. DNAT incoming tcp port 25 to your mail server
2. accept these readdressed packets on forward chain
3. SNAT outgoing packets tcp port 25
4. accept outgoing packets on forward chain
5. do the usual accept "RELATED,ESTABLISHED" stuff.

I split my forward chains according to incoming interface,
rather than using the FORWARD chain itself,
and filter in those specific chains.

Cameron.