I'm trying to update mysql 3.23.49 up to 4.0.5 on a RedHat 7.3 system,
and I'm having some problems. I may be able to solve those problems by
my own, but I'm running out of time and any tip or advice would be
appreciated. I have to solve this today or I will forget updating mysql
at this time.

First, I tried to upgrade the RPMs from mysql.com and got some dependence errors.
Specially with libmysqlclient.so.10. I guess RedHat RPMs may be compiled
not the same way. Is that correct? So, will I have to update all
packages with dependence problems also, like php? Or it's a better idea
compiling mysql? Any advices for my task?

Thanks a lot again,
Joao.