> I am trying to set-up my Speed Touch USB ADSL modem on Redhat 8.0 without
> much success, can someone on the list please give me some assistance, a
> starting point at this stage would be nice.

The best site for this is the Open Source Driver site at
http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net - they even have an rpm for it. I'd recommend
steering clear of the Alcatel drivers, as they appear to be harder to set-up.

There is also a how-to at the following address, and probably elsewhere as well:

http://www.coochey.net/linux-stuff/misc/speedtouch-usb-stuff/SpeedTouch-HOWTO-
en.html

which will guide you through the setup. You can safely use a stock RH kernel,
as it has everything required already - you just need to make sure you add all
the config files in the how-to. Make sure you get the microcode binary from the
Alcatel site, or your Speedtouch Windows driver CD.

The only additional bit which I think is omitted in the how-to, is that you
need to add a file /etc/speedtouch.conf - there is a sample file included with
the drivers from sourceforge - and you'll just need to adjust some of the
settings inside this file ( eg usb driver, etc). If you do this, you can use
the command

/sbin/service speedtouch start

and also get it to run at start-up by using chkconfig.

HTH

GC--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP ID: 0x260BBD51