Taken from http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/s.html#segmentation_fault

segmentation fault     n.     [Unix] 1. [techspeak] An error in which a
running program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and core
dumps with a segmentation violation error. This is often caused by
improper usage of pointers in the source code, dereferencing a null
pointer, or (in C) inadvertently using a non-pointer variable as a
pointer. The classic example is:

   int i;
   scanf ("%d", i);  /* should have used &i */

2. To lose a train of thought or a line of reasoning. Also uttered as an
exclamation at the point of befuddlement.