What happened to the old fashioned rbash and rksh? I need to set some user login shells to a restricted shell, (which restricted shell I do not care) The current version of bash supports restricted mode but it is does not work properly, for one, the '-r' option will not work as a login shell in /etc/passwd, and 2) symbolically linking rbash to bash does not work completely.

If I set a user's login shell to /bin/rbash, this shell is restricted and behaves as a restricted shell should, However, if the user types 'exit', viola, they are in some kind of pseudo-shell that is not restricted. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I do know this was not the behavior several years ago. If I place an 'exit' or 'logout' in the user's $HOME/.bash_logout file, nothing changes. (this would be an unacceptable jerry-rig approach anyways)

Does anoyone know how to set up a true restricted shell with RH 8.0 or does anyone know where you can download the source code for the older secure versions?

Thx.
CC