Hi,

Does anyone from redhat ever hang out on these lists?

I REALLY, need to figure out how the hell they do bootable
software RAID as modules....

Is this some form of mystic secret that redhat don't want
us to know?  Or doesn't anyone from Redhat read these lists?

I am trying to convert a system to bootable software raid
from a single disk system.

I really really really do not want to have to spend three
days configuring this server after a reload.

However.. all documents that I read about bootable software
raid assume you are building your own kernel...  and I know
that redhat loads the raid modules .. most likely via initrd
I guess, but try as I might, I can't get this into a bootable
system.

If I build my own kernel, then I will continue to have
problems every time I run up2date and I'll have to constantly
build new kernels and while I don't mind building a kernel,
I used to do it all the time, I am trying to make things easier
to maintain around here.. not harder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to any documents about
how to do this?

And secondly....   is there any further info on bootable sofware
raid and what I do if one of the disk fails?  I pulled one of the
disks the other day while the system was powered down, and it wouldn't
boot at all while it was out... that certainly is _not_ the way
my hardware RAID systems work.  I am using the GRUB boot loader
and I assumed that each disk was bootable, but no go here, I had
to put the disk back in before it would boot up again..  if they
are going to offer us software raid, then I think they should follow
thru and tell us how to use it.

Thanks

Bill