Hopefully, this is only slightly off-topic.

I just replaced a commercial firewall with a RH 7.3 machine running
IPTables.  Several non-IT employees found comfort in running Gibson's port
scan (http://www.grc.com).  With the old firewall in place, a port scan
showed all ports as 'stealth' (besides 80 which is forwarded to another
machine).

With the new IPTables box, port 80 still comes up as open as expected, but
many other ports are listed as 'closed'.  Strange.  For example, the
firewall, which uses IP Masq, doesn't run any services (OK, hardly any).
'netstat -a | grep LISTEN' shows:

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

It's certainly not running POP anywhere.  But Gibson's scan shows port 110
as 'closed', not 'stealth'.  His site defines 'closed' as:

"'Closed' is the best you can hope for without a stealth firewall in place.

Anyone scanning past your IP address will immediately detect your PC, but
"closed" ports will quickly refuse connection attempts. Your computer might
still be crashed or compromised through a number of known TCP/IP stack
vulnerabilities."

and 'stealth' as:

"If all of the tested ports were shown to have stealth status, then for all
intents and purposes your computer doesn't exist to scanners on the
Internet!

It means that either your computer is turned off or disconnected from the
Net (which seems unlikely since you must be using it right now!) or an
effective stealth firewall is blocking all unauthorized external contact
with your computer. This means that it is completely opaque to random scans
and direct assault."

Being that there really should be 'no evidence that these ports exist'
(because they don't!), what's the real deal here?  Basically, I know not to
trust everything grc says, but I have some explaining to do and need to be
diplomatic about it.

Thanks!
--
Jeff Stillwall