Joe Giles said:
> List,
>
> I was wondering. I want to play with building my own Kernel. My question
> is this.
>
> Can I download a Kernel from the source tree at kernel.org, say 2.5.50
> (Just released) and use the Red Hat config file from an RPM installed
> kernel (/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0/configs) and compile it? Would this
> work say if I don't make any changes to the kernel, but load those config
> settings, build and install?

it may be possible by running 'make oldconfig' before compiling but I
wouldn't reccomend it. distros like redhat use a lot of patches to the kernel
I would reccomend going over the kernel config to be sure it has everything
you need before compiling it.

I'm paranoid for some reason so I never use oldconfig, always configure from
scratch, only takes a couple minutes..

oldconfig may only work between minor kernel revs(2.4.x -> 2.4.y), haven't
heard anyone trying to do it between major revs. the configuration system
I think changed in a recent 2.5.x kernel which may introduce more
complications as well.

nate