On 11-Dec-2002/11:51 +0000, Gary Stainburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wednesday 11 December 2002 11:12 am, Alan Peery wrote:
>> Anthony E. Greene wrote:
>> > - A "print server" that converts printjobs to PDF and delivers them to
>> >   the user via email.
>>
>> Do you have pointer to a HOWTO on that?  It could be quite useful for
>> work, as I want to encourage sending documents to customers in PDF
>> format...
>>

>This is not something I've automated, but the basics are quiet simple.

The manual methods are not complex, but in an environment where there are
dozens of users who use the service only occasionally, the manual methods
are just painful enough to deter their use. So I wrote a script that makes
it super easy for users.

 - The user prints to a shared printer named "PDF-Maker".

 - The user reads and closes the WinPopup/Messenger Service message
   notifying them that the printjob is done.

 - The user then checks their email for the PDF.

That's it.

In the background, the script does the things you describe, plus a few
others, like sending a WinPopup-style message to the user: