Hello Rodolfo,

I recentlly had your same problem using a 900us laptop purchased from CompUSA.  I took it back because not only did it stop at the partition check when loading redhat 8.0, it also would not let me partition a 40 gig hard drive without giving errors.

I contacted Compaq who indicated to me that this was a custom built laptop.  Which meant it was only meant to run Microsft XP.  I asked them what would  I do with a 40 gig hard drive that I could not partition?  Thats real crazy!!

 Apparently thats microsft in bed with compaq trying to limit competition again.  I was really pissed.  I wouldn't mind if the sales person had told me this laptop was customized but they never told me the hard drive couldn't be partitioned.

Morover, when I contacted the help desk at compacq they indicated that they do not recommend partitioning of this machine as it will cause problems.  True to their word I attempted to partition the laptop with patition Majic and was successful, however when I tried to access another partition other than the XP  partition the machine went crazy giving me errors.

You need to contac Compaq and find out the deal on your laptop. If you recently purchased it they may give you another machine as they did me, however they may require you to pay the difference if the new machine is more expensive.

I decided not to pay the extra and I'm waiting for CompUSA to send me my money back.  They have a policy that any amount over 250.00 you have to wait for the company to send it back to you which can take up to 10 days. I dont think i'll be buying another Compaq laptop again.

My previous laptop was a Presario 1800.  I had little problem with it and had Redhat and Windows 98 running on it before some evil individual put a virus on my Master Boot Record(MBR). someone had previously wrecked by floppy drive.  Apparently someone close to me doen't want me to use my computer.  I took it in for service because I had an extended warrenty and they decided to give me credit for the cost of the machine towards a new machine.  Thats when I brought the 900us that doesn't allow for partitioning.

sorry to get so winded but as you can see I have had may share of problems with the Presario laptop. However, the extended wanty with costed 250.00 servered me well.  I will never purchase a laptop without a an extended warranty.

Good Luck, hope all works out.

Herb Gregory,

CCNA, MCSE