Long shot, but I had the same symptoms when I had accidentally made my
/dev/null unwritable.  If you boot from a boot disk and then ls -l
/dev/null, it ought to look like this:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       1,   3 Jul 26 11:27 /dev/null

If it doesn't, then see 'man null' for instructions on recreating it.