First, make sure you turn-off html when posting to the newsgroup.
Second, you shouldn't need apache to run SWAT.
Next, check your /etc/xinetd.d/swat file:
It should look something like this:
service swat
{
        port            = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        only_from       = 127.0.0.1
        only_from       = 192.168.0.11
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
}

Also, make sure swat is turned-on.  Do a chkconfig --list swat.  If
it is not on, do a chkconfig swat on.

JMF