Alex RENE wrote:
> Hi there... again...
>
> I have been trying to install the updated drivers for my nvidia graphics
> card, and it seems there might be a conflict during the install... To
> summarize what I did:
>
> I run RH8 on a pentium III => kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0 i686
>
> Went to Nvidia website, downloaded an ran NVchooser app, to determine
> what GLX rpm and kernel rpm to download => it told me to install
>
>       NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm    NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
>
> Which I atempted to... It seemed to have troubles with multiples RH /
> linux kernel present on my machine, which where not deleted after an
> up2date or that where additional:
>
> Here is what kernels I had in the boot loader when I first attempted to
> install the drivers:
>
> kernel-2.4.18-14 I think => i386
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0 => i686
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0debug => i686
>
> When I suspected the conflict was due to Xple kernels, I then removed
> the kernel-2.4.18-14/i386. Then I tried to remove the
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0debug / i686 with [rpm --erase kernel] which
> returned that there was no kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0debug installed...
>
> I just ran [rpm -q kernel] and got the same result, only
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0 => i686 is installed according to RH8... HOWEVER, I
> still have the choice between kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0 and
> kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0debug in the boot loader...
>
> I am at a loss here, because I am not sure who/which is wrong: the boot
> loader or the rpm database...
>
> Also, could it be simply that the nvidia drivers dont support i686 for
> the time beeing? I thought recompiling from the source should avoid this
> pb...
>
> HEEEEELLLLPPPP PLEEEEEEZE
>
> Alex RENE

Hi.

Like you, I use RH8.0 with NVIDIA AGP card.

Today, I received an announcement that NVIDIA provides new driver for
RH8.0, you may need to check that (http://www.nvidia.com/).

And since you told that you didn't remove kernel-debug package,
download it again and check it what files that pkg provides:

rpm -qlp kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0debug

and you can remove all files from that package manually.
But be sure that none of the files are not shared by any other
pkgs. esp. kernel-2.4.18-18.8.0.

(And note that if some of configuration files and script stuff
 cannot be removed by this way.)

And you told that your boot loader still provide debug version,
check the boot loader's configuration file.
(If you use lilo as your boot loader, it should be /etc/lilo.conf.
and make sure you run "/sbin/lilo" as root after any change.

Hope this will help.