On 12 Dec 2002, greg wrote:
> any way to tweak the way your web browser ( in my case mozilla) accesses
> the internet and web pages.  Something like max amount of packets
> allowed to send/receive or whatever at one time.....

If you mean TCP window recieve size, that's a windoze tweak. In linux, the
defaults are fine. The problem is getting a faster connection, as the way
things should be :)

If you persist, google leads me to recommend
http://www-didc.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/buffers.html

 Add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf, and then run "sysctl -p"
 # increase Linux TCP buffer limits
 net.core.rmem_max = 8388608
 net.core.wmem_max = 8388608
 net.core.rmem_default = 65536
 net.core.wmem_default = 65536

 # increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
 net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 8388608
 net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 8388608
 net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 8388608 8388608 8388608

 Note: Linux 2.4 has a pretty good sender-side autotuning mechanism, so
 that setting the opitimal buffer size on the sender is not needed,
 assuming you have set large buffers on the recieve side. This is very
 nice! The 3 values are min, default, and max. Make sure you set the max
 large enough. See LinuxHQ for more information.

 However, Linux 2.4 has some other strange behavior that one needs to be
 aware of. For example: The value for ssthresh for a given path is cached
 in the routing table. This means that if a connection has has a
 retransmit and reduces its window, then all connections to that host for
 the next 10 minutes will use a reduced window size, and not even try to
 increase its window. The only way to disable this behavior is to do the
 following before all new connections (you must be root):

                 sysctl -w net.ipv4.route.flush=1

 Another thing you can try to increase TCP throughput on Linux is to
 increase the size of the interface queue. To do this, to the following:

                    ifconfig eth0 txqueuelen 1000

 I've seen increases in bandwidth of up to 8x by doing this on some long,
 fast paths. This is only a good idea for Gigabit Ethernet connected
 hosts, and may have other side effects that I am not yet aware of.
 For more information on how Linux 2.4 TCP works, see Tom Dunigan's page
 on TCP autotuning.

--
\ \/ / _       |~\  _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
 >  < / \|\  /|+-< | |    "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_|     a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole