On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 07:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I remember having seen a web page which explained why its a bad idea to create
> a web page for a specific browser.  I beleive it was posted in this list but I
> can't find the link to the article.
>
> The basic point of the article was something like you are telling your
> customers to go away if you restrict your web page to a certain kind of
> browser.

I don't know which one you were speaking of - but I can name several reasons.

1) Steve Wozniak has a fat wallet.
He doesn't spend money at sites that are crappily coded.

2) HTML is a freely available open standard. By refusing to code to the standard
you are basically stating that you are lazy and do not do things properly.

3) It locks you in to a particular platform. What happens if suddenly some real
nasty Windows bugs pop up and your company gets 70% of its workstations wiped 3
times in a four month period.
Your company will seriously consider migrating. Probably won't happen - but by
not coding to the standards, you just increased the potential expense of
migration should that occur.

-=-
My little sister came down for Thanksgiving. She needed to access some excel
documents from her company website.

IE 5 for Mac couldn't handle the site - I think they used Windows only scripting.
Anyway - what happened is there were several options she was suppose to choose and
THEN hit a submit button and her spreadsheet would be created.

Well - as soon as she chose any ONE option before selecting the others - the form
would submit W/O her hitting the button. So she couldn't use IE Mac to get the
documents.

Tried Mozilla - but their ssl authentication was screwy. As soon as she submitted
her name/password to get it - another authentication window popped up.

Anyway - she couldn't get her work done because the company they hired to do
their web development did a sh*tty job. And she didn't bring a windows laptop
(I'm all Mac and Linux - no windows at all).

It caused a BIG problem.

That's why you code for standards.
You may get away with sh*tty code 98% of the time - but that 2% will really get
people pissed off at you.