Does the box work with the stock RedHat SMP i586 kernels?
If so then you may be choosing a combination of config options
that doesn't work well together.

I have this problem myself quite a lot.  What I usually
do is load the /boot/config-* for the RedHat stock kernel
that works in make xconfig.  Then I just try a compiling
in a few things and removing a few things and saving the config
and then trying to boot off of that.  If it works then I
save the kernel in grub and rebuild again, this time removing
a little more.

As far as the depmod warnings about Unresolved Symbols....
If insmod loads them and they work without a problem don't worry
about it. (Unless it just really bothers you that you get warned)