On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 11:27, Alex RENE wrote:
> Hi all... I know, it's REALLY a nOOb type of question but... How do you
> uninstall stuff you did not install by RPMs like from tar.gz and the
> likes ... I have WAY too many browsers installed on my machine, and I d
> like to get rid of a few other things too...
>
> --
> Alex RENE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Another thing you can do,
it takes a long time, but it does work.

write a script that does the following
as root, I am not testing these commands,
so you might want to think about the gist of
it and then rewrite it yourself.

mkdir /tmp/FILES
find / -type f > /tmp/FILES/filelist
cd /tmp/FILES
split --lines=50 filelist
rm filelist
for FILEBATCH in `find . -type f`
do
  for AFILE in `cat $FILEBATCH`
        do
        rpm -qf $AFILE | grep -v "is not owned by any package" >>
/tmp/FILES/not-owned-list.txt
        done
done

Then when you are done you will have a list of the files that
are not owned by any RPMS.

-Ben.