At 09:34 2002/12/12 -0600, you wrote:
This is not a silly question at all because I do not know much about configuring DHCP. The answer to your question is none of them. The only thing that I did was click the DHCP button in linuxconf on the nic that needs to be hooked up to my ISP. I must now ask a few silly questions now.
1. Is that required if I am *not* running a DHCP Server?
Just to be perfectly clear. If you are obtaining network settings through DHCP you should _not_ be running a DHCP server on the same interface. Also, under recent version of Redhat you should not need to go out of your way to configure a DHCP client. Redhat provides a DHCP client (dhcpcd by default I think, but they were using pump for a while and may be again/still) which is integrated into the network startup scripts. You should be able to just configure your network interface to use DHCP from the /usr/sbin/setup program (or it's GUI equivalent, the name of which escapes me at the moment).

2. I saw both of those on the internet in my search to find some answers, what do they do?
dhcpcd is a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) client which allows a host (computer) to obtain network information (an IP address for itself, name servers to use, a default gateway, etc.) on a network which is managed by a DHCP server.

dhcpd is a DHCP server daemon intended to allow you to automatically configure client machines on your own network. Typically people run dhcpd when they have an IP based network with a large enough number of machines on it that it's impractical to configure all of the machines by hand (for me this tends to be "more than three"). The DHCP server allows them to store all the configuration data in one file on one machine, and greatly simplifies maintenance. e.g. if I have 200 machines all configured to use "10.0.0.99" as a name server and I suddenly need to switch over to using "10.0.0.100" instead. If I am not using DHCP (or something like it) then I have to go to all 200 of those machines and re-configure them. If I am using DHCP I simply update a line in the dhcpd.conf file, restart the service, and all the client machines update themselves. In a physically spread-out network (like a typical high-speed ISP for example) where the network administrators don't have easy physical access to most of the machines, a DHCP server is nearly mandatory. Otherwise they would create a tech-support nightmare every time they made a configuration change. If you want to know more then have a look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/index.html or for a more technical description http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

n.b. While using DHCP introduces the possibility that your IP address may change when you renew your DHCP lease, it is not quite the same thing as having a dynamic IP address. Most reasonably well-configured DHCP servers will make every reasonable effort to ensure that clients keep the same IP address for as long as possible. I've been on cable since the spring of 1998, and if memory serves my IP address has only changed twice, both times by my own request.