Ben,
Thanks! I was worried about installing an older version and was not sure of the effects. It did the trick.

Bob

Ben Russo wrote:
On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 12:27, Bob Hartung wrote:

HI all,
I am running RH8 (Psyche) with all updates and errata installed on a new workstation. I am trying to install a DICOM storage server as a test for a medical office. The install fails as it reports that libreadline.so.3 is needed. RH 8.0 installes readline-4.3.-3.rpm that provides libreadline.so.4.

Is there an elegantly simple way of fooling the install script into believing that libreadline.so.3 is actually installed. Or is there some way to install a compabibility package? I don't want to screw up the rest of the install as other evaluation packages have been installed and are running nicely.

All help appreciated!
TIA

Bob

Get the source RPM for readline version 3 from the RedHat 7.3 or 7.2
FTP mirrors (make sure to check the appropriate errata to make sure that
you get a version with the known bugs removed.

Then build a source RPM and install it with rpm -ivh.
The major version numbers are differen't so you can have both versions
installed with no problems.

-Ben.