I'm going to run some Java Servlet based apps., and some standard Java
apps. of own fabrication. It's not because it's going out to the
public or anything, it's just for my own experimentation and nothing
else.

The reason that I'm looking for some optimization on my RH is that I
used to run my Java apps. on a FreeBSD machine on a weaker machine,
but RH seemed somewhat slower, and I was thinking that it might be
because RH ships with a lot of weight that I did not need, and that
this slowed my system down. And when I got started, I also got a
little interested in how much I could improve performance with some
simple changes :)

Don't take this as a complaint about RH opposed to FreeBSD, because it
is not! If I preferred FreeBSD over RH, I would still be using
FreeBSD. I had my reasons to make the shift, and I do like RH so far,
I just have to learn it's ways :)

Best regards
Søren