On Monday, Dec 16, 2002, at 10:59AM, Mertens Bram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The "Maximum rpm" document contains only very little information about
>rebuilding rpms.

/usr/share/doc has MUCH more current information.
At least that is what I found.

>Most rpms are build for the i386 architecture, I run my RH7.3 on an
>i686, does it make much sense to rebuild rpms before installing them?

My understanding is that it only makes sense for the kernel and glibc to be optimized
- and that those already are.

Since almost everything is linked against stuff in glibc, they benefit from that
optimization - and that optimizing most other packages doesn't really make much (if
any) performance difference.

Back in the RH 6.2 days I built pgcc (pentium optimized gcc) and rebuilt every rpm
using it (except for a few that refused to compile with pgcc) and I thought I would
have a fast system.

Reallity is - the performance boost was minimal.
More performance could be gained by adding ram and/or swapping to a different disk
than your data disk(s).

>If I understand the manual correctly I would have to download the
>src.rpm then run the command rpm --rebuild xxx.src.rpm which would
>install the software after optimising it for the i686 architecture.
>
>Or isn't it that simple?

You would need to first create a ~/.rpmmacros file

In it you want the following:
%_topdir    /home/your_user_name/rpmbuild
%_build_arch    i686

then -
mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386
(same for i686 and noarch at a minimal)
mkdir ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
mkdir ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES
mkdir ~/rpmbuild/BUILD

Then (without su to root)
rpmbuild --rebuild package.src.rpm

I *think* it will deposit the rebuilt rpm into ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686 (I haven't tried)

If that doesn't work - edit the spec file and add-

BuildArch: i686
to the spec file.

That *should* work.