On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 08:26:47PM -0500, Ben Russo wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-12-15 at 12:39, RedHat wrote:
> > I have some older computers the oldest being a 386 and I have a copy of
> > Linux 6.0. I would like to get some use out of these computers so I was
> > thinking I could install 6.0 on one and make it my firewall. Would this be a
> > good idea or should I stick with 8.0? Maybe set the others up as email and
> > bind servers?
>
> As long as you don't expect them to be speed burners you can run
> RedHat 8.0 on them.  I wouldn't expect them to be the fastest boxes in
> the world, but for a cable or DSL line with a handfull of protected
> boxes, this should be fine.

Nope.  Red Hat does not support installing or running 8.0 on a 386.  If you
use something like the RULE project to get Linux installed, it won't be
Red Hat Linux.

Red Hat Linux 8.0 demands a minimum of 64MB for a text-based install.  I
doubt that the 386 has that much.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA