> I downloaded form HP a file (ps306en1.exe) which contains the drivers
> needed for Windows, but the printer needs to be physically connected to
> the machine for proper install.

Alas, most recent printer do this. They want to run their own version of
monitoring software assuming the printer will be attached locally. What
really ticks me is that they don't have an option to turn off the monitoring
crap at install time.

The way I got around it with my Epson is to use a driver that shipped with
XP one model lower than my 880 (850) the 880 is not natively supported.
Windows drivers do not explicitly use the monitoring, therefore I could
install and use. It works fine.

Another way to do it may be to attach the printer, install the driver, then
disable the monitoring crap at startup, and set the port to point back to
samba. Attach the printer to linux again and try.

Other than that you may be SOL.

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services P/L