ok, i've used linux for 2 years now (4 years at school) and this problem has
plagued me from the start!  i feel so silly asking this...

anyways, when i log into the CS machines at school (which are debian btw), it
says "Erase set to control-H (^H).".  what is annoying is that in vim, when i
hit the backspace key, it prints ^? instead of erasing the character.  it
turns out that the delete key acts as the backspace key does on my redhat 8.0
system.

the question is, how can i get backspace to act like it acts on my redhat 8.0
system?

thanks,
christopher