On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 08:10, Ken Sorensen wrote:
> Greetings,
>     Does anyone have any experience with a IMAP/POP3 server that does
> not use /etc/passwd as the base? (Cyrus, others?) Our email users will
> soon grow past the UID limit, and I'm looking for a drop-in solution for
> the UW-IMAP I've been using for years (RedHat default install).

I recommend Courier-MTA.  You can do virtual users in MySQL, PostgreSQL,
or LDAP (I recommend LDAP).  All of your virtual users can share a
single system UID.

I have apt-get'able packages at the URL below that can be used to set up
a mail system with virus scanning, and spamassassin under Courier:
http://www.dragonsdawn.net/apt/redhat/7.3/en/i386/RPMS.dragonsdawn/

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ap2oeq%24esl%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&output=gplain