From: Warren Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 11:29 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: OpenOffice/MS Office compatibility (was Re: easy installation)

Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 08:09:21AM -0000, Cannon, Andrew wrote:
>
>>On another point, how compatible with M$ Office is OpenOffice? I'm
>>trying to get our company away from M$ products (slowly does it...)
>>and if the OpenOffice suite is (nearly) fully compatible it might help
>>persuade the "people in power" that we don't need to pay out lots of
>>dosh for rubbish, when we can have a good, free, system.
>

> It's not anywhere close to being compatible.  Many MS Office documents
> can not be read or display incorrectly in OpenOffice.  This issue
> exists in both the Windows and Linux versions of OO.  Try it out at
> home first with some typical documents that your office uses and see
> what happens. I was very disappointed and ended up buying MS Office
> for my home desktops.  OO couldn't even handle my trivial home files.

My experience has been different.  I use OO on Linux mostly and had a
few thousand files that had been generated in Microsfot Word and Excel
that OO had no trouble with at all.  The only thing that looks funny
sometimes is OO displays a ? for a -, but it prints the - ok.  Whenever
I save a file in OO I save it in Microsoft format and other people that
need to open it in Word or Excel haven't had any problems either.

-Warren