I haven't seen any replies to this. This is a stab in the dark...
Are the Win98 boxes dhcp clients? (i.e. you ticked the
"obtain IP address automatically" box).
If so are you running dhcp server?

Can they still ping the server even when they
cannot ping the outside world? i.e. is the problem
at the NAT level or the local network?

Can you ping by ip-number when you cannot ping by name?
Could it be a problem with your DNS lookups?

Is the behaviour synchronised? i.e. All win98 boxes hang
at the same time?

maybe start logging all rejected/dropped packets and see what
is being dropped at the time.

Sorry there's nothing too specific.

Cameron.