It sounds as though you are mixing up instructions that are
appropriate to different systems. The chkconfig stuff is for
systems such as RedHat that support it. The scripts from rc.local
are more generic Linux instructions.
What version of RH are you running? The iptables script
in init.d comes with the iptables RPM, so this suggests you have never
installed one.
I would recommend you go back and install the RPM
because the format of an init.d script is more than just the
first comment lines for chkconfig compatibility. It is not the same
as a script that would normally be run from rc.local.
Also, starting at S80 allows nearly all your network services to fire up
with no firewall protection.

What I would suggest is...
1. remove the firewall script from init and rc.local(but save it)
2. install the latest RPM.
3. run the script to install your iptables settings.
4. when they are OK, run "service iptables save". This will store your
settings
for the next time you boot.

whenever you need to change the settings, edit your script
and then repeat steps 3 and 4.

Cameron.