See inside your responce.

---SLP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  My questions are:
> 1. What are main differences between a shell account and a ppp one.
> What can you do with one and that u cant with the other??

ppp is used for a direct extencion of the network.  It alows you to
run web brousers, ftp programs ET. on your machine and work like you
are use to.  Shell acounts alow you to connect to a specific machine
and run programs that are located on that machine.  All you have done
there is put your computer as a terminal on that machine.

> 2. When I do :
> locate pppo, locate pppd and so on, it gives error :"No such file or
> Directory ".
> But when I do find /-name , I find them. Could you tell me why they
arent
> lcated by the `locate` command?

You most likly need to update your locate database.

> 3. I have redhat 4.2 of Infomagic. By xwindows, I ve setted my
Network and
> modem.
> When I launch minicom, I got to my Isp and after 2 mins I get "NO
carrier".
> Can I connect other way?

If you are trying to connect by PPP then you need to go into the
network configuration and activate your PPP network configuration.
Another way to activate it is with usernet program.

> 4.
>  Do lynx come with redhat 4.2. Cause after launching minicom, I went
back
> to xterm and did lynx http://www.microtec.net and I got "Invalid
> operation"..same thing If I use news or ftp.

You are not connected yet.  See above.

> 5.
>  As my ppp seems to come as a module, should I first launch at root
the
> command modprobe ppp.o (I got invalid command when I do that), then
pppd (I
> just get some garbage..and modem aint dial)..And what about kerneld in
> these procedures..should I launch that command also. If Not, when
should I
> need to use kerneld?

kerneld will load the ppp module automaticly.  All you need to do is
connect and the system will be in memory.

> Thanks for patience and consideration
>

> Martin Olward
>

> --

==