Hello,

I'm trying to use PPP to connect to my ISP.   My modem does not dial
when pppd is evoked.  I get the error message: "pppd: peer
authentication required but no suitables secret(s) found for
authentication any peer to us (hostname.domain)".  I don't know what
this means.   However, my modem does work using minicom.  After I get
connected, I enter my 'login', 'password' and the server spits out ascii
characters (%#!&^@...).  Is this considered pap/chap server?  I'm not so
clear on this.  At this point I don't know what to do with the
connection but have to hangup.   Can I use minicom instead of PPP as my
networking protocol?   I am trying to use PPP to connect to my ISP and
my modem doesn't respond (only minicom does and connects).  I use
control-panel in Xwindow to setup my networking stuffs.  I'm using RH5
by the way.  TIA!