I had a similar problem.  Turned out that my modem's init string wasn't
right.  The "ATZ" which netcfg was using as a default didn't quite cut
it.  I called my ISP and they sent me some to try out and one of them
worked.

-Chris Lea

SLP wrote:

> Hello,
> I ve got couple of questions :
> 1. When i run minicom, my modem dials, I get to my Isp( it gives me my
> dynamic ip..etc) and then some ascii characters (garbage)..then 3 mins
> later, I get NO CARRIER. My isp has no clue of the problem and they re
> certainly right cause on my win95 partition, the connection is OK.
> I m just wandering if the problem could be the modem. say I wanna impose
> some init strings to my jaton communicator modem 33.6 Pnp with Cirrus logic
> chip? How to do that? probably that is the problem with the NO CARRIER
> error message. Or any other Idea..Thanks in advance..
> Also....
> >I ve edited a connection script file /ppp-connect in my root directory as
> follow:
> >pppd connect 'chat -v"" "AT&F1" ""ATDTmyisp_number
> CONNECT""ogin:my_username word:my_password" /dev/ttyS3 38400 modem
> >
> >Then I did chmod +x ppp-connect (still in the same root directory).
> >But when I execute ppp-connect at root, it says: "Command not found".
> >What am I doing wrong pls??
> >

> >Amanda
> Sony Lloyd Ponton
> 5136 De Gaspe
> Montreal, QC
> H2T-1z9
> Tel: (514)279-1921
> Email adress: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> --

Chris Lea                                    Lucid Designs, LLC
         "Opportunity is missed by most people because
        it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
                      -Thomas Edison
(310) 475-4727                      http://www.luciddesigns.com