It's 17 Jun 98  11:32:40,
We'll return to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and All's
discussion of SMPT: We do not relay.

 lo> It seems you have some anti spam rules engaged on your system, there
 lo> is already a quite nice email in my box from this list explaining what
 lo> it is  so I'll skip over that.  (Congrats to the newborn on the list,
 lo> btw!)
 lo> However, if you are using RedHat Linux 5.1 as your dialin server it
 lo> comes with some anti-forwarding rules in it's sedmail.cf file.

 lo> Try looking at http://www.redhat.com/support and looking in the RHL
 lo> 5.1 Users Guide which explains what spam is and what the specific rules
 lo> are in the sendmail.cf file.   If you installed support documentation,
 lo> it will also be in /usr/doc/HTML or it is on the CD if you have it.

 > I have about 15 dialin users.  All accounts are ppp.   Since I do not
 > have a permenant IP I don't offer email.  However,  I have paticular
 > free email service from www.netaddress.com that also uses a pop3 server.
 >
 > Why dialin users configure thier mail clients as folows:
 > outgoing (SMPT) mail.ohiocounty.net  <----- me (netaddress.com has no
 > SMPT)
 > incomming (POP3) pop.netaddress.com
 > email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > reply to email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >
 > Now here is the problem:
 > Whenever a dialin user tries to send mail it a popup reply that says
 > "The server responded: We do not relay."  This *only* happens for
 > dialin.   I can send mail from the this terminal just fine.  This
 > terminal has the same configuration as the dialin user would have.

As I have installed anti spam support on Red Hat 4.2 by hand (with the
aid of docs from an email security site), I may be able to offer some
form of explanation.

It could be that the dialin user's IP address doesn't have a reverse DNS
entry, so all sendmail knows about the dialin user is the IP address.
Or the dialins (for some strange reason) are in a different domain.

I don't know how Red Hat have configured the anti relay measures, but if
it's anything like mine, there should be a class definition (a FW line
comewhere in /etc/sendmail.cf) which points to a file where you can add
domains or IP addresses that are to be considered local.  Add the
relevant entries for the dialups in the file, so sendmail knows that
these are "local" systems, and things should be fine.

One thing I love about sendmail is that if it's possible, there's every
chance sendmail can do it.  The trick is getting it to do so.  I
reccommend the O'Reilly Sendmail book, for anyone wanting to learn how
to get the most out of it.

.. I've never seen the Catskill Mountains, but I have seen'em kill mice.