Hello all,

     I have a RH 4.2 PPP server running perfectly, and therefore
I am familiar with the methods for setting up a server. The client
I am using to test the following problem works fine with the
4.2 server.

     I am, however, having problems getting a PPP server working
for RH 5.1. I first tried to set up a RH 5.0 PPP server, but the
server would not forward the client's packets at all, even
though ip_forward was compiled into the kernel and running. The
routing tables on both machines were as they should be. (I heard
rumors that there is/was some bug in routed that may be
responsible...??)

     So I just upgraded the server to RH 5.1, and now I can ping
the local network only using IP numbers- using the names doesn't
work. Also, I cannot ping our network's gateway, and I cannot
ping at all (either with IP numbers or names) outside our local
network. Once again, ip_forward is compiled in the kernel and
running (so says /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward), the routing
tables on both client and server look grand, and ifconfig on
the server says the ppp0 interface is up and running (all the
IP numbers and such are correct also, and it says packets have
been transmitted and received).

      Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I'm stumped.
Suggestions would be most appreciated!

Kimberly