I just installed rh 5.1, i'm a novice at Linux. I set up netscape
with my
internet providers address info and I got nothing. What I did was login
my shell account and activate the ppp connection. It timed out after
maybe 20 or
30 sec. I feel that I don't have ppp installed or supported in my
system. In using,
the installer, disk druid, I believe, there seemed to be no choice to
install ppp.
When I looked at the network choice, it seemed to insist, I could be
wrong, that
you choose a network card, which I don't have. Anyway, I read the How-To

10 minute guide to PPP and it suggested some tests:

pppd version                gave me ' version 2.3 level3 '

uname -a                       gave me ' 2.0.34 '

dmesg | grep i ppp        gave me  nothing

insmod                          gave me nothing

The diagnosis as a result of the above tests was that the kernel must be

rebuilt with ppp support.
It seems that you can't go back to disk druid with out renaming all the
installed partitions and reinstalling everything.

I also did rpm -qa | grep kernel and got:  kernel-2.0.34-0.6

kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.0.34-0.6

kernelcfg-0.5-2
I have an internal 28.8 std modem.

                                    Thanks