On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Internet Microtec/Support Technique wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) I m tryin configuring my redhat 4.2 for TCP IP (my goal is to put 2
> Linux boxes on networks using Tcp/IP and other local protocols )
> Seems that all I ve got to do is to configure some files like /etc/inetd.conf,
> /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, /etc/services..etc. But what about compiling TCP
> IP into my kernel. To do that, should I need any special configs or
> software, or .. it will automatically be part of the recompilation of my
> kernel??
>
> 2) I wanna mount the / proc filesystem. I ve read about mounting the
> filesystems and still couldnt do it.Seems that I need it for networking my
> Linux box. I want to mount it definetely on my system.

RedHat comes set up by default with the /proc filesystem and tcp/ip
compiled into the kernel.  You shoudn't need to edit inetd.conf, services,
and probily not networks either.  I've set up several redhat systems (3
4.2, 4 5.0, 1 5.1), all of wich were designed primary for network services
(most were IPMasquerade routers).  All you should really need to worry
about to get it running tcpip on the net is the ethernet card config,
which you can set up very easily during install.

If you need PPP, the netcfg utility works fairly well in 4.2; you can also
use the raw ppp scripts, but they will need some edititng.  They are
hidden away in /usr/doc/ppp-2.2.0f-3/scripts (I beleave...I upgraded most
of my 4.2 boxes to 5.0 already).  Its definately /usr/doc/ppp-2.*/scripts.

-----
Jim Kusznir ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
RidgeNET Tech Support
371-3501