Eugen Constantinescu wrote:

> Hello everybody !
>
> I don't understand well the "remote IP" and "local IP" expresions.
> I have to make a server and a client for ppp on RH4.2 systems without
> modem.

Do you mean that you're using something other than a modem to make your
connection, or that there will be a modem eventually but not yet? (I
don't think it matters, I'm just curious.)

The "local IP" refers to the machine on this end of the PPP connection,
and the "remote IP" refers to the one on the other end.  So if you are
sitting at the machine which answers, and I am at the machine which
calls, then from your perspective I have the machine with the remote IP
address, and you have the machine with the "local".

Hope that made sense.