It sounds like an IRQ confilict.

Ust setserial on the port to whcih your modem is attached and ensure that
it displays the correct configuration for the port.  The linux kernel can
and sometimes does get this stuff wrong.  If it is wrong you can use
setserial on the port to correct.  Also make sure there isn't something
already set to use the same IRQ (such as an ethernet card) I had just such
a problem when setting my my box to do PPP.

Also ( I know this is stupid but I've also done it before because I wasn't
thinking) is your serial port a 16550 UART?

nathan hruby

nathan hruby
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.echonyc.com/~lost/