On Fri, 13 May 2011, Chris Adams wrote:

Once upon a time, Ben <bd...@cam.ac.uk> said:
It may be unconnected but I have a RHEL6 box which also occasionally has an issue with slow SSH connection. By that I mean you type "ssh rhel6host", the password prompt comes up quickly, but after entering the password and hitting return there's a palpable delay (sometimes) before the prompt appears. Not every time, but often. Sometimes as long as four to five seconds.

Are you using network authentication and sssd? It is slow; you can get a half-second or more delay on initgroups().

Nope, just plain old local authentication. 100% vanilla RHEL6 install on that front.

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.