Matthew,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018, at 21:02, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> We've also received a fair bit of push-back to any suggestion that we might
> expand this protocol to allow updates of NS records.

I just found out (again) about the CSYNC record.
See RFC 7477

Child-to-Parent Synchronization in DNS

Abstract

   This document specifies how a child zone in the DNS can publish a
   record to indicate to a parental agent that the parental agent may
   copy and process certain records from the child zone.  The existence
   of the record and any change in its value can be monitored by a
   parental agent and acted on depending on local policy.

It specifically excludes CDS/CDNSKEY handling of course (section 5)
but it is a generic signalling protocol.

--
  Patrick Mevzek