From: regext <regext-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Gould, James
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 9:01 AM
To: Patrick Mevzek <p...@dotandco.com>; regext@ietf.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [regext] FW: New Version Notification for
draft-gould-regext-login-security-00.txt

It was 6 before and apparently we "need" to upgrade to 8 now.

I am quite sure than in 5 years we would want to increase 8 to 10 and so on,
this is purely Moore's law.

So to ease future maintenance I am just saying: remove this arbitrary limit in
the protocol, since it is a policy decision anyway.

Are there any other thoughts on inclusion of a minimum of 8 characters for the
password in draft-gould-regext-login-security versus specifying no minimum and
leaving the minimum up to server policy?  My preference is to meet the existing
security guidelines by specifying the minimum of 8 characters and Patrick’s
preference is to remove the minimum.  Any other thoughts on this is greatly
appreciated.

[SAH] Jim, keep in mind that the security guidelines you mentioned are just
that – *guidelines* published by a particular entity that may or may not be
appropriate for use in different operating environments. I’d be inclined to
loosen the Schema to conform to other possibilities and include an
informational reference with text along the lines of “Servers SHOULD enforce
minimum and maximum password length requirements that are appropriate for their
operating environment. One example of a guideline for password length policies
can be found in <blah blah> [reference here]”. A minimum length of 1 would
ensure that the field can’t be blank, and the server can check if whatever is
provided lines up with expectations for clients.

Scott