Hi Antoin and all,

I apologies for my late contribution on this subject, as a backend that has
implemented (albeit an older draft) of the maintenance draft, I have the
following to share on the list of actions posted by James Gould on 2021-01-15
(that would be my local date in Melbourne, Australia).

  1.  Need for a formatted HTML description, since notices currently include
formatted HTML content.

Quoc: I don’t think this is needed, I see the intent to be a machine to machine
notification, the presence of an optional URI (maint:detail) provides details
that are more human friendly which the client server may pass onto their users
as needed. I assume this comment is in relation to HTML formatted email notices
sent to Registrars, if this assumption is true, I don’t think that making the
maintenance object be like for like with an email notice is needed. Often HTML
formatted email is a decision to format the presentation of the information so
that it looks “nice” and is formatted to corporate standards. Another use case
for this to not be required is that in some emails it contains attachments,
there’s no way in replicating that in the maintenance object.

  1.  How to signal the maintenance of an entire system versus the maintenance
of an individual or set of TLDs on the system

Quoc: I find the use of maint:impact in combination of maint:tld as reasonable.
Our system supports multiple TLDs from a single end point and so we use this
combination as needed. For instance if there was maintenance specific for .biz
we would only report BIZ in the maint:tld list. Also what I would like to share
is what is being referred to as maintenance? Things of a technical nature is
pretty straight forward, e.g. software upgrade, so TLDs are hosted on a single
system then when there is an upgrade to the backend then maintenance will be
performed on ALL TLDs. However what if there is an UPDATE to a TLD which is not
software related but more business driven. E.g. if there is a TLD registration
policy update, this I don’t see as qualifying as a maintenance but today there
would be an email notification to all Registrars with access to the TLD being
updated. In spirit of simplicity I only would consider maintenance of a
technical nature in the maintenance object.

  1.  Support for courtesy (e.g., 2 weeks, 1 week, 2 days, 1 day prior to
maintenance) notices and maintenance end notices.

Quoc: Noting that this is a suggestion for a "courtesy", I find this
unnecessary as the consumer here is a machine. So when a maintenance object is
created only single object is created and it’s expected that the client server
stores the date and time reported and set their own reminders. If this was an
email notification for humans to read then that’s a different matter (not to
say that reminders are not needed). Of course if the WG thinks it’s good to
send out service messages at a 2 week, 1 week, 2 day and 1 day before the
maintenance then I’ll be OK to implement as a courtesy however I would suggest
that clients that read the message implement a scaling interval that they are
comfortable with.

Regards

Quoc Pham
GoDaddy Registry | Senior Product Manager
[https://email-sig.gd-resources.net/img/godaddy-registry-logo-outline.png]
+61398663710
Level 8, 10 Queens Road
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia