Tom & Jasdip,

Ahead of the REGEXT meeting this afternoon, I did a review of
draft-ietf-regext-rdap-rir-search and below is my feedback:

  1.  I believe that the search for ips and autnums should have been included
in RFC 9082 from the start, but I’m glad that you’re looking at add support in
this draft.
  2.  My biggest issue is the extension identifier and the lack of using it in
the path segments (“ips” and “autnums”)
     *   First, I want to say that I don’t see that the use of “ips” and
“autonums” will cause any confusion or conflict, but I can’t see getting past
the normative language defined in the base RFCs.  Section 6 “RDAP Conformance”
attempts to get around the normative language, but I don’t believe it will
address the requirement.  I see two options for this:

                                                               i.      Use a
shorter extension identifier as a prefix for the new path segments, such as
“rir” with the path segments “rir_ips” and “rir_autnums”

           *   This would result in a single entry in the rdapComformance
element for the draft but will require the use of the non-optimal path
segments.  You could stick with the “rir_search” identifier, but that will make
the path segments even worse with “rir_search_ips” and “rir_search_autonums”.

                                                             ii.      Define an
identifier for “ips” and an identifier for “autnums”, which would be
represented independently in the rdapConformance.

           *   There is no requirement to include the “_suffix”, so this will
result in optimal path segment values (“ips” and “autnums”) and provides for
separation by object.
     *   The use of “rir_search” may still be needed or something like it for
the relation search defined in section 3.1 “Path Segments”.  You could leverage
the first option above with the prefix “rir” and the suffix “_search” to
perform the relation search.  The second option adds some complexity to support
a crosscutting search function like “rir_search”, where you could use
“ips_search” and “autnums_search” values or do without them since “ips” and
“autnums” are registered identifiers.  The “rir_search” under the domain path
segment is more of an issue that needs to be considered, potentially by adding
a third identifier (“rir”) to support it.

--

JG

[cid87442*image001.png@01D960C5.C631DA40]

James Gould